Here at Old Town Orange Dental Group, we offer several periodontal services to keep your gums healthy so you can have a beautiful smile and healthy teeth. The following are some of the periodontal services Dr. Levitt and his team offer:
- Gum Graft Surgery – this surgical procedure is needed to treat periodontal disease or a receding gum line. Having strong healthy gums helps keep teeth in place and protect the roots of your teeth, it also prevents tooth and bone loss by keeping your teeth healthy and in place. In this procedure, tissue from your palate or from adjacent teeth's is taken to cover an area where the gum has receded or has been lost. The procedure is fast and painless; local anesthesia and other sedative options are available to help you make your comfortable and block any pain during the treatment.
- Laser Treatment – a special laser can be used to treat periodontal disease by removing the infected tissue and removing the bacteria and residue buildup. Some of the advantages of using laser therapy to treat periodontal disease is that you do not need an anesthetic for the procedure, the laser technology allows your dentist to be more accurate and only target the infected tissue and because the treatment is less invasive than a surgical procedure recovery time and discomfort symptoms are less severe or not present with laser treatment.
- Dental Crown Lengthening – this treatment might be recommended when you have excess gum tissue. Your dentist will reshape your gums and our teeth to allow more of your tooth or teeth to be exposed and your gum line to be even. This can be part of a cosmetic or restorative treatment to even the level of tooth and gum that is exposed and give you a beautiful and healthy smile.
- Pocket Reduction – also known as "flap" surgery is required when infections have destroyed your gums and bone which creates pockets where residues can buildup and bacteria grow. When these pockets become too deep, at-home brushing and flossing will not be able to reach and clean these pockets, and your dentist will have to clean them and shorten them to keep residues and bacteria from entering and causing infections. In this procedure, your dentist will fold back the tissue once it is completely cleaned and rid of bacteria so it can reattach to your teeth and keep them securely in place.
- Scaling and Root Planing – these deep cleaning treatments are used when plaque and tartar buildup have gotten inside the gums to avoid infection, which could lead to tooth or bone loss. Scaling and root planing thoroughly clean your gums and the gum pockets to remove any food remains or buildup of tartar and plaque that could allow bacteria to grow and cause infections. Using a special tool, Dr. Levitt will scrap and scale any tartar or plaque from inside the pockets of your gums and your teeth until they are completely cleaned. Dr. Levitt then accommodates you teeth's roots so they can re-attach to your cleaned gums. Depending on the severity of your case, one or more visits might be needed to complete the treatment.
- Gum Disease Treatments – it is crucial that you kept your gums healthy and cleaned because they protect your teeth and keep them in place. Gingivitis and Periodontitis are the most common gum diseases that are caused mainly because of poor oral hygiene. When you do not brush and floss after every meal, food particles get stuck in your teeth and tartar, and plaque starts building up, these allow bacteria to grow and cause an infection. If you're experiencing, tenderness, pain, bleeding or swelling your gums might be infected. When your gums get infected, the infection can be spread to your teeth or your jawbone which could not only cause decay but also tooth and bone loss if the infection is left untreated. Your dentist will recommend antibiotics and a deep cleaning to get rid of the infection.
If you need our team to check you for gum disease, please call us at (714) 997-9030 to schedule an appointment today and discuss your treatment options with Dr. Levitt.